Tuesday, December 9, 2008

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Final exams suck hard. Particularly in classes where this is your first and only exam. Because there is no midterm, there's no way to evaluate yourself during the course, nor is there any way to predict what the fuck the instructor wants on the exam. Christ, I hate this shit. Just give me a paper to write. Add that to the fact that we get no dead-time this year, and everything sucks to hell.

For my metaphysics class, I do have a term paper due Monday. We had presentations yesterday, allowing us to share our ideas with the class and professor, gaining valuable input. I like this idea, and I wish we did this sort of thing in our other smaller classes.

Anyways, I'm writing about personal identity and modal questions. My point is that we use modal questions to evaluate personal identity questions all the time ("What if I were disembodied?" for example), but we rarely connect personal identity with modal theories. And I think much of the conflict in modal theories comes from an inability to agree on what the essential characteristics of personhood are. Were we able to definitively answer personal identity questions, we'd likely be able to answer most modal questions about trans-world identity. So I hope that by combining modal and identity theories, I can come up with a better answer to both questions.

It's interesting stuff (to me, at least), but I have so much bullshit to plow through over the next few days - Russian exam, Stalin exam, Labor Econ exam. Fuck.

No comments: