Sunday, December 7, 2008

Heart and crap like that

I've got a presentation and paper due tomorrow morning for metaphysics. Unfortunately, I have neither any work done, nor a firm grasp on what I want to discuss. I'm going to be doing something on personal identity, but I'm not sure what I'll be discussing with it. Maybe I'll just critique physicalist interpretations of the mind.

Anyways, I watched the Texans game. It cam right down to the wire, but Kris Brown pulled out the win. It was a good win that showcased how powerful the Texans' offense really is: they were -3 on turnovers, but they still won the fucking game. Awesome.

A few days ago, it occurred to me that for the first time in seven years, I really think of the Texans as "my" team - I care about their wins and losses in a way that I never did before. Previously, we all knew that they sucked and there was little that would change. Now there's clear evidence of improvement. Moreover, I just really like this team.

It comes down to heart. This team really has it in a way that no other Texan team has ever had. And I say that as a guy who routinely ridicules writers who throw around terms like "heart" and "clutch." But this team works well together, and it's clear that they are pushing one another to succeed. The biggest part of their recent success (by which I mean the past two seasons) has been improved personnel, but the fact that the Texans just aren't giving up on the field means a hell of a lot.

No comments: