Sunday, November 9, 2008

Houston sports fans leave something to be desired

I like to lurk over at ClutchFans.net during games (too many people there, though, so if I have anything interesting to say, I say it at the Dream Shake). I love the reactions people have during a poor stretch of play in a game:

"Fire Daryl Moron" (Are you kidding me? The dude is the best GM in the league. He's drafted incredibly well out of the 2nd round, gotten us good talent with poor draft positions, and acquired such players as Artest and Scola. Daryl Morey is not the problem, and he's smarter than you.)
"Trade T-Mac" (He's the heart of the offense. He's hurt right now and isn't playing well. He'll do better as the season moves along.)
"Trade Yao" (Yao - when in good form - is the best center in the Western Conference. He might be the best in the league.)
etc.

A line of truth from "larsv8":

Cluthfans.net: where personel decisions are made after every play.

Oh and Ron Artest just drew 3 fouls in about 8 seconds. First two came off of Kobe, and the next was (I think) off of Vujacic. It's hilarious watching him defend people WHILE PLAY IS STOPPED. The dude is just tenacious, and it's fun to watch him.

--------------------------------

I've turned the game off. It's a Lakers blowout and I really don't want to listen to the LA homers chuckle for the last three minutes.

But read the game thread at Clutch Fans. I can't believe the shit coming out of people's mouths. No, I can. I've lived in Houston for virtually my whole life, so I know how our fans act. Maybe it has been the decades of beatdowns issued our way, but we automatically assume that our teams are a bunch of bums. In a way, it's a good thing - might as well not reward shitty teams with our love. But it gets tiresome when it comes two weeks into the season.

Yes, I have my doubts about this team: injuries are an issue, T-Mac is not the scorer he once was, and Yao seems prone to freak accidents. But I have faith in Rick Adelman and Daryl Morey to put together and run the best team they can. They did that last year. Without a third star, they were able to win 55 games. Now they have a third star.

T-Mac looks spent out there. It doesn't help that he is being ferociously defended, but he just can't get into the lane. Yao seems tired (most of the time, anyways). Artest's offense is too reliant on his outside shot. But these problems will be corrected as the season moves on.

The first quarter of this game was all Houston's. But the Lakers beat them down the stretch. Basketball is a game of growth rates, and the Rockets just burned themselves out in the first quarter. That's probably because they've been on a very hectic schedule for the first few weeks, so I have faith that this will change.

And I have faith that those who are giving up on the Rockets now will change, too. The players will adjust to Adelman's system, just as they adjusted to every system that their high-school, college, and other professional coaches threw at them. And when that happens for a whole game (just as it happened for the first quarter tonight), it will be a thing of beauty. And the Rockets will reel off a few dozen wins, and everyone will be content. Stop letting every bad possession freak you out, Houston.

No comments: