Tuesday, August 26, 2008

That's it, I'm Voting for Barry

What with the situation in Iraq largely being determined (very quietly, I might add) by negotiations between the Iraqi government and the United States, I doubt that Obama is going to pull any of his "Fuck the Iraqis, let's leave now" crap if he's elected.

So I'm left to the myriad other issues that determine whom I'll support. Economically, it's largely a wash - Obama will be pro-labor, McCain will be pro-NAFTA. So what should I vote on? Answer: sports, of course.

I imagine McCain is a D-Backs/Cardinals/Suns fan, though he grew up in Northern Virginia, so he could just as easily be a Skins/Orioles/Nats/Generals fan.

Obama is from Chicago. He's a Bears/Bulls fan. He's shown up at ChiSox games in the past, and in this interview, he's clearly a fan of the White Sox.

Now, if what he's saying is sincere, it is a plus. His candidacy is a big part of the hipster douche crowd, so I've always docked him points for that. But Cubs fandom is also a hallmark of hipsterism. So I'm leaning towards hating him for that.

But I've always preferred the White Sox. Sure, their fans were dicks during the 2005 World Series, and AJ Pierzinsahfuckit is an absolute asshole, but the Sox are working class. They play in a modern ballpark (and one that's not filled with the bullshit that MMPUS is), they charge reasonable prices, there are actual non-token minorities in the stands. Plus, they never blamed their lack of postseason success on a fucking curse, even though they had ample reason to do so.

Good job, Barry. You've won over the crucial "Fuck I hate Fucking Cubs Fans" demographic!

No comments: